Thornton Business Improvement Grants (BIG), administered by the Thornton Economic Development Office, are available to help fund business improvements that will result in the creation and retention of jobs, increased sales revenue, and increased capital investment in Thornton facilities. BIG is primarily a matching funds program. Once approved, the Planning, Development Engineering, and Building Divisions work with awardees to coordinate permits, inspections, and project requirements.
Applicants must be:
- A commercial licensed business in Thornton for at least 12 months, with a current commercial lease agreement (minimum of 1 year commitment) or commercial property ownership in the City of Thornton. (Exclusions: non-profits, marijuana businesses, residential living facilities and religious institutions.)
- If business has an unconventional lease such as food truck, shared co-working space or sublease please see maximum allowed grant amounts.
- Located in non-residential zoning designations and not on public property.
- In compliance with all City taxes, licensing, and applicable laws and ordinances.
- In emergency circumstances, a waiver to a grant requirement may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Home-based businesses are eligible to apply for up to $1,000 in matching marketing grant funds.
- BIG funding allows for a maximum of $20,000 every 5 years.
Applications are accepted January 2023 through July 31, 2023. Grants will be accepted on a first-come first-serve basis until funding is gone.
For assistance, please first read the Frequently Asked Questions, then contact the Alliance Business Assistance Center at 720-927-5246 or Alliance@ThorntonCO.gov.
Submit an Online Application Now
If you prefer to download a printable PDF of the application, information and requirements, or FAQs, click the links below.
Download 2023 Application - BIG
81.43kB (will open in a new window)
Download 2023 FAQ - BIG
95.82kB (will open in a new window)
Download 2023 Info & Requirements - BIG
110.73kB (will open in a new window)
Download 2023 Scoring Rubric - BIG
124.20kB (will open in a new window)
Download Business Plan Template
124.18kB (will open in a new window)