Thornton Business Improvement Grants (BIG), administered by the Thornton Economic Development Office, are available to help fund business improvements that will result in the creation and retention of jobs, increased sales revenue, and increased capital investment in Thornton facilities. BIG is primarily a matching funds program. Once approved, the Planning, Development Engineering, and Building Divisions work with awardees to coordinate permits, inspections, and project requirements.
- Applications will be accepted December 2018 through the deadline of July 31, 2019.
- Grants are awarded on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Once the funding is gone, there are no additional funds – don’t wait until the deadline to apply!
- You must receive grant approval prior to starting project or purchasing equipment!
BIG’s qualifications, program guidelines, and rules will change in 2019 to ensure funds are available to more local businesses and the use of the funds supports the City’s goals, priority initiatives, and overall intentions of the program.
- All qualified applications will be considered and scored according to the new Program Scoring Rubric.
- You must submit an informative summary describing how your project meets and supports the criteria and priorities listed on the Program Scoring Rubric.
- Property managers and landlords are excluded from utilizing the grant to fix Building Maintenance Code violations. (Owner-occupied building owners are still eligible to use the BIG Grant.)
- Maximum award amounts have been reduced from $30,0000 to $20,000.
- Exterior grants require no matching funds for the first $3,500 of a project. A 50/50 match is required for the remaining balance (maximum of $20,000).
- The waiting period for reapplication for the BIG grant has been increased from 3 years to 5 years, starting with grant recipients who receive awards in 2019. (Grant recipients who received a grant prior to 2019 will still be eligible to reapply under the 3-year waiting period through 2021.)
Be sure to review ALL downloadable information prior to submitting your application.
93.61kB (will open in a new window)
126.41kB (will open in a new window)
36.41kB (will open in a new window)