City Council established the Thornton CARES (COVID-19) Keeping Thornton Safe Grant to offset the cost of providing personal protective equipment and other safety supplies during the COVID-19 pandemic. The Thornton City Development Department administers this grant program.
- This grant is available to all private businesses located in Thornton, including but not limited to, home-based businesses and nonprofit organizations. Private businesses do not include, and this grant is not available to, governmental entities or entities controlled by a governmental entity. Review the Eligibility Requirements below for further information.
- Keeping Thornton Safe funds are in addition to other COVID-19 grant funding from the city of Thornton. The maximum award amount for this grant is $5,000, but not all applicants will be approved and/or awarded with the full grant amount.
- Funds cannot be used to pay expenses already covered by other grants or funding received from other COVID-19 programs or loans.
- Applicants must meet the minimum eligibility requirements to apply. Completed applications will be accepted through October 1, 2020 or until funding is gone. Follow-up Reports are due November 16, 2020.
- All requested information must be provided or the application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed. Applications are reviewed weekly on a first-come, first-served basis. Payment is expected to be issued within two to three weeks of an application’s approval.
- Approved applicants shall submit a follow-up summary report within 90 days of receipt of grant funds. The summary report shall include proof of expenditures and a detailed explanation of how the Keeping Thornton Safe grant funds were spent.
- Applicants who do not submit the follow-up report will be automatically disqualified from receiving future COVID-19 grant funding from the city of Thornton until such follow-up report is submitted.
- An approved Thornton CARES (COVID-19) Keeping Thornton Safe Grant will have no impact on past or future qualifications for BIG or STAR grant funding, provided the follow-up report is submitted as required (businesses only).
- Technical Assistance and guidance are available to assist with completing the grant application. Please contact the Thornton City Development Department for assistance.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- All applicants must be an active Thornton business or nonprofit organization and be operating as of the date of the application.
- This grant is not available to governmental entities or entities controlled by a governmental entity.
Maximum award amounts
The maximum grant amount is $5,000. Not all applicants will receive the full $5,000, but rather a portion up to $5,000.
- Expenses incurred by operating businesses/organizations on or after March 15, 2020 are eligible for grant funding. Expenses must be paid from a business/organization account.
- All grant fund expenditures must be utilized at the approved business/organization location.
- All Keeping Thornton Safe funding must be used to offset the cost of providing personal protective equipment and other safety supplies during the COVID-19 crisis. Eligible purchases include:
- Personal protective equipment (PPE), such as face coverings (masks), gloves, barriers, and similar equipment.
- Cleaning and sanitizing supplies for COVID-19 processes.
- Floor markings and signage to assist with physical distancing requirements.
- Disposable menus or cards.
- Touchless payment systems intended to replace or supplement other forms of payment systems.
- Safety training to help ensure compliance with required or recommended COVID-19 cleaning or safety protocols.
- Touchless thermometers.
- Other safety-related items that are necessary due to COVID-19, with appropriate documentation.
- Keeping Thornton Safe grant funds cannot be used for other purposes such as rent, marketing, or other expenses. Applicants needing assistance with other funding are encouraged to apply for other city COVID-19 grants.
- Only one application for a Thornton CARES (COVID-19) Keeping Thornton Safe Grant may be submitted per location.
Application Submittal Process
- Applications can be submitted online (continue reading), emailed to [email protected] (click to email [email protected]) or mailed to Thornton City Development Department, 9500 Civic Center Drive, Thornton, CO 80229.
- Applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis through October 1, 2020 or until funding has been exhausted.
- All complete applications will be considered for approval. All requested information must be provided or the application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.
- Applications will be reviewed weekly, and applicants will receive formal notice of the award decision by email within two to three weeks of the city’s receipt of a completed application. If approved, notification of the award amount and regulatory requirements will be provided.
- Payment is expected to be issued within two to three weeks of the application’s formal approval.
Grant Recipient Responsibilities:
- Grant recipients shall utilize funding in accordance with the requirements of the approved grant. Unspent funds shall be returned to the city with the summary report (described below).
- Grant recipients shall submit a follow-up summary report within 90 days of receipt of grant funds, or by November 16, 2020, whichever is sooner. Reports shall be submitted:
- By email to [email protected] (click to email [email protected]) or
- Mailed to Thornton City Development Department, 9500 Civic Center Drive, Thornton, CO 80229.
- The summary report shall include:
- Proof of expenditures, including paid receipts or similar documentation
- A description of the types of items purchased
- Explanation of how the purchased items were utilized by the business or non-profit organization.
- Grant recipients who fail to submit the follow-up summary report will be automatically disqualified from receiving future COVID-19 grant funding from the city of Thornton until such follow-up report is submitted.
Please submit the following to the Thornton City Development Department:
- Completed and signed application form
- A completed and signed W-9 Form. Click here to download (www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf).
- Proof of current operational status, such as current business or exempt license number, customer contracts, orders, records, or other documentation.
- Itemized list of intended use of grant funds (refer to the Qualified Expenditures section), including costs.
- Detailed responses to the following statements, with appropriate documentation when required:
- Describe how the requested funding will be used for necessary expenditures incurred due to the public health emergency with respect to the Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19).
- Have you received approval for other CARES Act funding for personal protective equipment or other safety supplies related to the COVID-19 pandemic? If yes, describe how those funds were utilized and explain the need for additional funding.