- Technical Assistance and guidance are available to assist with completing the grant application. Please contact the Thornton Economic Development office for assistance.
- Please review the Program Guidelines before completing this application.
- Businesses must meet the minimum eligibility requirements to apply (see Program Guidelines).
- Completed applications will be accepted through November 6, 2020 or until funding is gone.
- Applications are reviewed weekly on a first-come, first-served basis.
- You must complete questions with an informative summary.
- Maximum award amount is $20,000 (not all applications may be approved).
- The goal is to have payment issued within 2–3 weeks of receiving an approved application.
- Approved applicants will be required to submit a follow-up summary within 90 days of receiving funds to include proof of expenditures to explain how funds were spent and the benefit it brought to the business. DUE BY Nov 16, 2020
- Businesses who do not submit the follow-up report will be automatically disqualified from receiving future grant funding from the Economic Development Office until such follow-up report is submitted.
- An approved Thornton CARES Business Grant (COVID-19) will have no impact on past or future qualifications for BIG or STAR grant funding, provided the follow-up report is submitted as required.
- Funds cannot be used to pay expenses already covered by other grants or by funding received from other COVID-19 programs or loans.
Please submit the following to the Thornton Economic Development Office:
- Completed and signed application form
- A completed and signed W-9 Form (www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf).
- Copy of signed lease / mortgage statement (showing monthly amount owed and dates of lease)
- Itemized list and proof of how you intend to spend the funds. Examples could include: costs incurred since March 15, 2020 that you are unable to pay, additional expenses incurred as a direct result of COVID-19 such as PPE. Primary bills related to the operation of the business, payroll, insurance, schedule of lease payments, receipts, inventory costs.
- Detailed responses to questions
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- Applicants must be a commercial licensed business in Thornton with a current commercial lease agreement or documented ownership or mortgage on the property.
- Lease agreement must include a minimum of a 1-year commitment. (Extenuating circumstances may be considered for locations without a current 1 year lease; a statement of commitment may be required if no lease or history is available)
- Business must have or be able to obtain a City of Thornton Commercial Business License before grant funding will be awarded.
- Business must have a designated commercial workspace or private office space in the City of Thornton to be eligible. (Ineligible: non-profits, home-based businesses, residential living facilities and religious institutions.)
- Business must be located in non-residential zoning designations and not on public property.
- Business must be in good standing or able to obtain an “in good standing” status with the Sales and Use Tax office and Utility Billing in order to qualify for the grant. (Consideration may be given for late payments or issues related to COVID-19, but arrangements must be made directly with those offices.)
- Business must have experienced a minimum of 25% loss in revenue due to the COVID-19 crisis.
- Business must employ 500 employees or less
Maximum award amounts
- While the Thornton CARES Business Grant funding allows for a maximum of $20,000, not all businesses will receive the full $20,000, but rather a portion up to $20,000.
- Businesses may receive a maximum of $20,000 in total COVID-19 grant funding from the City of Thornton per business location in 2020 (2020 Emergency Business Grant COVID-19, 2020 Regional Retail and Entertainment Emergency Grant, Thornton CARES Business Grant). If you received COVID-19 grant funds from the City of Thornton through a previous grant, deduct the grant amount received from the $20,000 and that is the amount you are eligible to apply for through the Thornton CARES Business grant.
Applicants are Responsible for:
- Submitting a completed application form and required documentation. (By signing and submitting your application you are attesting that your business has experienced a 25% revenue loss at some point in time since March 2020 due to COVID-19)
- Providing a copy of a signed commercial lease to include the dates of commitment or a mortgage statement, or providing a written statement regarding extenuating circumstances if a lease or mortgage statement is unavailable.
- Providing a signed W-9 Form (www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf).
Approved applicants will be required to submit a follow-up summary to [email protected] (click to email [email protected]) within 90 days of receiving funds. Businesses that do not submit the follow-up report will be automatically disqualified from receiving future grant funding from the Economic Development Office until such follow up report is submitted. The follow-up summary shall include:
- Proof of expenditures (paid receipts / documentation)
- Explanation of how funds were spent
- Benefit it brought to the business
Application Submittal Process
- Applications will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis through November 6, 2020 or until funding has been exhausted.
- All complete applications will be considered for approval by a review committee.
- Applications can be submitted online at www.businessinthornton.com, emailed to [email protected] (click to email [email protected]) or mailed to City of Thornton Economic Development Office, City Hall, 9500 Civic Center Drive, Thornton, CO 80229.
- Applications will be reviewed weekly.
- The Economic Development Office will email the applicant with a formal grant approval or denial letter within 2–3 weeks of receiving a completed application. If approved, notification of award amount and regulatory requirements will also be provided.
- Grant recipients can anticipate a check or electronic fund deposit within 2–3 weeks of formal approval.
- Allowable expenses will be considered for expenditures incurred on or after March 15, 2020.
- Funding can be provided for personal protection equipment and supplies, inventory, payroll, monthly bills related to the operation of the business, COVID-19 marketing efforts or other business needs related to COVID-19.
- Grant funds cannot be used to pay taxes, water bill or other debt owed to the City of Thornton, County or State.
- Grant funds must be spent at the location specified in the application. Funds cannot be used for expenses at other locations owned by the business.
- If a business owns more than one location, they may only apply for one Thornton CARES Business Grant per business location.